What is Cord Blood Banking?
Cord blood banking is the collection and storage of the stem cells found in your newborn's umbilical cord. Stem cells are the building blocks of our blood and immune systems. They are particularly powerful because they have the ability to replace or repair damaged cells throughout the body.
Cord blood preservation is a simple, painless procedure. After your baby is born, your obstetrician or midwife will clamp or cut the cord and then collect the cord blood. The blood will flow into the bag by gravity until it stops. The actual collection typically takes three to five minutes.
Your baby's cord blood will then be transferred to a processing facility by private medical courier for processing and storage. Collection, processing, and preservation methods vary depending on which cord blood company your family chooses.
- Cord blood stem cells are non-controversial stem cells. Your baby's umbilical cord blood is rich in stem cells that are currently used to treat over 40 life-threatening diseases, including leukemia and several other cancers
- Over 10,000 cord blood transplants performed. Thousands of cord blood stem cell transplants have been successfully performed worldwide, using both related (family) and unrelated stem cells.
- New uses for cord blood in the future. As researchers continue to develop new uses for cord blood, your family's preserved cord blood unit may become even more valuable in the future.
- Your family's own private reserve of stem cells. Family cord blood banking provides a unique opportunity to preserve your own private supply of stem cells, readily accessible, should a family member ever need them.
- Potential treatment for other family members. Your newborn's cord blood stem cells are a perfect genetic match for your baby and may also provide potential treatment for other family members.
- Related stem cells have twice the transplant success rate. Transplants using a family member's cord blood stem cells have twice the success rate as unrelated stem cells, such as stem cells from a public bank.
- Collection Expertise. The only Family Bank using an FDA-approved collection bag.
- Processing Expertise. The first Family Bank using the first FDA-cleared Automated Processing System - The same system used by MD Anderson Cancer Center and Duke University Cancer Center.
- Research Expertise. Uniquely focused on developing new uses for cord blood stem cells.
call toll-free 1-877-449-1522
Cord blood stem cell research to treat additional diseases is experimental. The number of diseases treatable with such stem cells may not increase as rapidly in the future. The odds are relatively low that the cord blood you elect to store will be used to treat your child or a family member.